My daughter Ashanti’s favorite bread for sandwiches. She is gluten sensitive and is very aware of her intake. There is nothing like homemade focaccia bread for Ashanti, especially if it is gluten-free!
3 teaspoons golden sugar
¾ cup warm water (115*F)
rice flour for dusting
½ cup garbanzo bean flour
½ cup rice flour*
½ cup potato starch
2 teaspoons xantham gum
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional – can replace with onion powder if desired)
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
olive oil cooking spray
½ teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary
½ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 200*F. Mix together the yeast, sugar and water and set aside for about 10 minutes.
2. Grease an 8×8 grey pan and dust with rice flour.
3. Blend and sift the garbanzo bean flour, rice flour, potato starch, xantham gum, garlic powder, and sea salt.
4. Add the eggs, olive oil, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar and blend on low speed until crumbly and combined. Then add the yeast mixture and blend on low until combined. Dough will be sticky in nature.
5. Transfer dough to the flour dusted 8×8 pan. Spread evenly with a spatula. Cover with aluminum foil and place in 200*F oven to let rise for 20 minutes.
6. Remove pan from the oven and preheat oven to 400*F. Remove foil and spray dough with olive oil spray. Then sprinkle sea salt, oregano and chopped rosemary on top. Place in oven for 18 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on the wire rack. Slice and serve warm or let cool and make great sandwiches!!
7. *Sometimes I substitute rice flour with sorghum flour. Depends what I have on hand at the time. They both work great!